The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a Major Gifts Officer at our campus in Smithtown, NY. Our organizations are distinctive in the assistance dog industry providing both guide and multiple types of service dogs.
Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Major Gifts Officer (MGO), will engage and be responsible for all aspects of the donor development cycle, including donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement, and stewardship. The MGO must be flexible to work weekends and evenings consistent with a front-line fundraising role. As a member of the Development Team, the MGO is expected to assist with the execution of the annual development plan to support meeting the annual organizational budget.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Manage a portfolio of 100-125 major gift prospects/donors across the United States. Identify, research, cultivate, solicit, and steward for major gifts.
• Develop successful strategies to increase donor engagement, revenue growth, and community awareness with the Director of Development and Chief Growth Officer.
• Create custom cultivation strategies for each person in the assigned portfolio based on the donor’s history of giving and the organization’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
• Provide stewardship of donors who have already announced a commitment to a major gift
• Maintain meticulous records of donor interactions, inputting information into the CRM database.
• Secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals, and solicitations that will be used to secure major gifts.
• Plan and execute Major Donor Cultivation events as appropriate.
• Work in a team environment to represent GDF/AVD and its mission.
• Attend events and meetings on behalf of GDF/AVD.
• Perform other donor activities, as required.
• Always be aware of safety rules and procedures. Ensure that the functions of this job are done in the safest possible manner and encourage co-workers to do likewise.
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college (preferably in Fundraising, Nonprofit Management, Communications, Marketing or other related field).
• Knowledge of planned giving techniques and vehicles.
• 3 + years of demonstrated history of securing major gifts
• Strong computer skills needed to utilize research tools and implement donor cultivation plans. Experience working with CRM databases necessary.
• Superior communication skills (oral, written, and listening).
• Adhere to the highest ethical standards, the MGO position is highly sensitive and requires impeccable personal and professional integrity and discretion.
• Up to 20% travel.
The employee is required to:
• Stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead and bend to the floor.
• Drive and/or travel.
• Lift 25 pounds and exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally.
Near acuity and accommodation are required for ability to see and read text and copy of written materials for publishing and to read computer screen.
Ability to interact with staff and public in an informal or formal way during events or public speaking.
Employee is exposed to office, kennel, and residence environment, that includes animal hair and dander as well as cleaning and antibacterial cleaning solutions.