Assistant Prison Puppy Manager
The Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind and America’s VetDogs have an opportunity for an Assistant Prison Puppy Manager, located in Maryland. This position will be dealing with Prison Liaisons, Inmate handlers, volunteer weekend puppy raisers, trainers, and other staff from correctional facilities.
Under the supervision of the Prison Program Manager, this position supports up to 8 prison programs and assists with opening new programs. Specific tasks are overseeing our Prison Puppy Advisors and supporting Department of Corrections staff that work with the program. Plans and facilitates puppy transports to and from our campus. Evaluates program dogs at prisons or in the field. Manages prison program inventory on campus. Reorder supplies as needed.
POSITION ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Minimum of BA or BS degree or equivalent, such as technical degree or certification from a dog training agency or school
• Excellent interpersonal communication needed for communicating with prison staff, inmate handlers, puppy raisers and Foundation staff. Also, public speaking skills for media events
• 4 years’ minimum experience in basic puppy training, socialization, and positive reinforcement training
• Experience training personal dogs with earned titles or certificates preferred
• 2 years minimum experience working with volunteers
• Ability to commute, 60-75% of time working in field. Ability to work overtime including weekends and evenings
• Ability to travel out of state (ME, MA, CT, PA, FL) to visit prisons and meet with volunteers when necessary.
• Ability to travel to NY campus for one week of initial training and ongoing training as needed
• Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 80 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Able to safely lift 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
• Ability to communicate well via e-mail and use Microsoft 365 applications
• Valid driver’s license in good standing. Ability to travel long distances by car or plane for up to one week at a time
• Must pass background checks for each prison location and maintain DOC required paperwork
If you are interested, please send your resume to Employment@GuideDog.org
and add “Assistant Prison Puppy Program Mgr.” to the subject line