The Position - Puppy Advisor
The Guide Dog Foundation has a unique employment opportunity for Puppy Advisor located in Smithtown, NY
Under the supervision of the Puppy Program Manager, provides puppy training sessions, arranges puppy homes, and carries out puppy socialization. Supervises volunteers in opportunities for proper puppy raising, puppy behavior modification and socialization activities of puppies meant to maximize the dogs’ success as guides or service dogs.
- Minimum of BA or BS degree or equivalent such as technical degree with 3 to 5 years’ experience in customer or volunteer oriented service.
- Proficient interpersonal, communication and public speaking skills needed for recruitment, orientation and obedience training.
- 2 years’ experience in dog obedience and handling. Ability to evaluate and manage volunteers to maximize the potential of their puppies.
- Ability to travel 85-90% of time working in field and work overtime including weekends and evenings.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Able to safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
- Ability to communicate via voice mail and e-mail efficiently.
- Demonstrates understanding and efficient use of Microsoft Office (ie Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Valid driver’s license in good standing.
We offer competitive wages, a comprehensive benefits program which includes an outstanding 403(b) plan, tuition reimbursement and generous paid time off (subject to eligibility).
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying or have any questions, please contact Samantha Benkovsky at email@example.com