The Position - PT Prison Puppy Adviser - Cumberland, Md
The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a Part time Prison Puppy Adviser in Cumberland, Maryland
. This position reports to the Prison Program Manager. The adviser provides dog obedience and task training to the inmate handlers. Coaches and supports weekend puppy raisers’ socialization activities and maintains obedience training in an effort to maximize each dog’s potential success as a service dog.
We’re looking for someone who has dog obedience experience, is results driven and is passionate about growth, innovation and collaboration.
- Requires at least two years’ experience in dog obedience instruction and ability to manage volunteers.
- Ability to evaluate and monitor progress of puppies relating to desirable physical and temperament traits.
- Trainer certification from a reputable agency preferable.
- Educational Background: High school diploma. Technical degree preferred or equivalent experience.
- Ability to travel, spending approximately 50% of time working at prison; 50 % traveling to meet with weekend puppy raisers in local area. Overnight travel may be required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must possess valid state driver's license with no more than minor infractions on record.
- Excellent presentation, teaching and public speaking skills.
- Flexibility with work hours and special requests. Day, evening or possible weekend hours may be required.
- Must be available to travel to our NY campus on an occasional basis for training purposes.
This position is at a correctional institution in Cumberland, Maryland.