Skip to main content
Skip to Main Content
Sign Up & Login
Get a Guide Dog
Characteristics for Success
Guide Dog Training
How to Help
Ways to Give
Virtual Tribute Wall
Care & Support
Assistance Dog Etiquette
Travel with your Guide Dog
Events & News
Newsletters and Brochures
Puppies with a Purpose
Good Dog Forum
Staff and Leadership
Our Campus & Tours
Frequently Asked Questions
Request Additional Information
Sign Up for Email Newsletter
Halloween Care Tips
Don’t leave your pet out in the yard on Halloween: there are too many risks for their safety.
Halloween candies are not for pets: chocolate is poisonous to many animals, and tin foil and cellophane candy wrappers can be hazardous if swallowed.
Be careful of pets around candle-lit pumpkins: animal could knock into them and cause a fire, or run the risk of getting burned.
Don’t dress your animal in costume unless you somehow know they love it. Costumes can put a lot of stress on animals.
If you do dress up your animal, make sure the costume isn’t constricting, annoying or unsafe.
Be careful not to obstruct their vision; even the sweetest animals can get anxious when they can’t see what’s going on around them.
All but the most social dogs should be kept in a separate room during trick-or-treat hours; too many strangers in strange garb can be scary for a dog.
Be careful your animal doesn’t dart out through an open door.
Holiday Season Care
Holly, mistletoe and poinsettia plants are pet poisons! Make sure they are kept in places your dog cannot reach.
Remove holiday lights from lower branches of your tree. They could get hot or the dog may become entangled.
Watch out for electrical cords. Pets may chew them and may get badly shocked or electrocuted. Place wires out of reach.
Be careful using glass ornaments. They break easily and may cut a dog's feet and mouth.
Commercial ornaments may contain paint or toxins in the preservatives - make sure your dog does not attempt to eat them.
Whether your tree is live or artificial, both kinds of needles are sharp and indigestible.
Tinsel is dangerous for dogs. It may obstruct circulation and, if swallowed, block the intestines.
Macadamia nuts as well as other nuts including almonds, pecans, and walnuts are toxic for your dog.
Alcohol and chocolate are toxic for dogs, even in small amounts. Keep unhealthy, sweet treats and seasonal goodies out of reach.
With some extra care and vigilance, you and your dog will enjoy a worry-free winter.