Warm Weather Care Tips
To help keep your dogs in top shape during the warmer months, check out these warm weather care tips.
- If you’re going to be out for more than an hour or so, bring a jug of ice or water for them drink as needed.
- If it is a very hot day, check the pavement, especially black top. If it feels hot to you, it will be hot for your puppy’s paws.
- Letting a puppy cool off in a pond or pool is a fun way to relax, but be sure they don’t drink too much of the water in the pond or pool.
- After a pup swims in a chlorinated pool, try to rinse it off with fresh water from a hose. Chlorine can be an irritant to the skin, eyes, or ears of some dogs.
- Remember to give your pup its monthly heartworm pill.
- If you live in an area where there are ticks or if you are going to be in an area where there are a lot of ticks, please remember to give your pup its Frontline.
The International Association of Assistance Dog Partners drafted an outline for emergency planning for you and your service dog back in 2005, but it hasn’t been updated since then. However, it still contains valuable information: http://bit.ly/mOx2bS.