The Position - Puppy Advisor
The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a full-time Puppy Advisor located in or near Athens, Georgia.
Under the supervision of the Puppy Program Manager, provides training, arranges temporary homes, and puppy socialization. Supervises volunteers in opportunities for proper raising, informal training and socialization activities of puppies meant to maximize the dogs’ success as guides or service dogs.
Key Job Requirements & Qualifications:
- Minimum of BA or BS degree or equivalent, such as technical degree with 3 to 5 years’ experience in customer or volunteer oriented service.
- Proficient interpersonal, communication and public speaking skills needed for recruitment, class instruction, and obedience training
- 2 years’ proven experience in dog and puppy handling and training.
- Ability to evaluate and manage volunteers to maximize the potential of their puppies.
- Ability to commute 85-90% of time working in field and work overtime including weekends and evenings.
- Ability to travel out of state periodically.
- Ability to communicate via voice mail and e-mail and use computer efficiently.
- Valid driver’s license in good standing.
- Located in or near Athens, GA.
- Must safely handle a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds, with varying strength and manageability. Able to safely lift up to 40 pounds. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting dogs or objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
- Possess near acuity and accommodation to see and read dog’s reaction to environment and distractions. Ability to hear to interact with dog, puppy raiser volunteers, and public either in an informal way or giving formal instructions through seminar and training exercises. Ability to hear above traffic and other outside noises.
- Employee is required to: stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead and bend to the floor.
- Exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or exert 10 to 20 pounds of force frequently.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume to Employment@GuideDog.org. Please place “Puppy Advisor” in the subject of your email.