The Position - Guide Dog Mobility Instructor
The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for Guide Dog Mobility Instructor (GDMI) at our campus in Smithtown, NY (Long Island). This position reports to the Guide Dog Program Manager and is responsible for training “class ready” guide dogs and for instructing clients in the use of those dogs, resulting in safe and effective guide dog teams. A GDMI will also participate in working with applicant and clients around the U.S. and Canada. This program meets the GDMI educational requirements of the International Guide Dog Federation.
- Must have achieved qualified Guide Gog Mobility Instructor status by an IGDF organization. Some familiarity with positive reinforcement training methods.
- Capable of safely handling a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds with varying strength and manageability.
- Able to communicate via voice mail and e-mail, able to effectively use Microsoft Office, spreadsheets and database applications. Possess excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Be able to travel, capable of working weekends, holidays and occasional overnight while training on class. Be willing to attend training seminars to further education and receive additional certifications in the dog training field.
- Must be able to work in the United States.
- Have a valid driver’s license in good standing and be able to drive a car or van. Have authorization to work in the United States.
We offer competitive wages, a comprehensive benefits program which includes an outstanding 403(b) plan, tuition reimbursement and generous paid time off (subject to eligibility).
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Employment@GuideDog.org
. Please include Guide Dog Mobility Instructor in the subject line.