Prison Puppy Advisor - Part time (12-14 hours/week)
Under the supervision of the Prison Program Coordinator, this person provides dog obedience and task training to the inmate handlers. Coaches and supports weekend puppy raisers’ socialization activities and maintains obedience training in an effort to maximize each dog’s potential success as a service dog.
* Requires at least two years’ experience teaching group dog obedience and/or puppy classes and ability to manage and train volunteers.
* Ability to evaluate and monitor progress of puppies relating to desirable physical and temperament traits.
* Trainer certification from a reputable agency preferable.
* Educational Background: High school diploma.
* Ability to travel, spending approximately 50% of time working at prison; 50 % traveling to meet with weekend puppy raisers in local area. Overnight travel may be required.
* Working knowledge of Microsoft word and Excel
* Must possess valid state driver's license with no more than minor infractions on record.
* Excellent presentation, teaching and public speaking skills.
* Flexibility with work hours and special requests. Day, evening or possible weekend hours may be required.
*Available to attend 5 days of initial training at GDF and ongoing as required to increase training skills as assessed by Prison Program Coordinator. Annual travel to GDF for 3 days is required after initial training.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT Paula@guidedog.org
This position is at a correctional institution in Warren, Maine.